You are currently browsing the monthly archive for April 2009.

For some reason I have been whipping up a lot of things for little heads lately.  A couple of days ago (or maybe yesterday?), I made a chef’s hat for the kids.  I had seen the tutorial a long time ago created by Joanna Armour of  Stardust Shoes and posted here over at Michael Miller Fabrics.  While the little one was sleeping, Eleanor and I cut up an old sheet and put the hat together.  It really didn’t take very long at all and the result was very pleasing to both of us.  We have been reading the book Whose Hat? by Margaret Miller lately and the first page features a chef’s hat.  I think having her own personal chef’s hat in hand made Eleanor really want to cook.  She made several batches of “pie soup” as soon as the hat was finished.

Chef's Hat

I didn’t actually get the hat all the way finished.  I stopped at the point in the tutorial just before the raw edges on the inside are finished off.  I figured Eleanor wanted to use it right away and I can go back in and tidy it up later.  I used what we had on hand (the sheet mentioned above) and I did not have fusible interfacing, so instead I used some flexible plastic screen from the back porch door which was recently repaired.  I sewed a little tube in the straight part of the hat and used my handy-dandy little bodkin to thread it through.  It worked really well, though if you hold it up to the light you can definitely see the screen!  The kids don’t seem to mind though.

The other headpiece I recently made was for a special birthday girl.  After seeing this post at tiny happy, I was inspired to both buy one of the flower fairies books (Flower Fairies of the Trees by Cicely Mary Barker) and make a crown.

Flower Crown

I tried several attempts at making the crown, I couldn’t figure out how to get the flowers attached so that they lay nice and flat.  The trick, I eventually figured out, was to take off all of the plastic stuff on the back — I had bought a big stem of many artificial blossoms and they were attached to the stem with a piece of plastic. I used some of the plastic mesh left over from the little house attached in the back with a piece of 3/4 inch elastic, a piece of nice soft wool felt hand stitched all around, and just sewed the flowers on with stitches across their centers.  It is a bit wider than the tiny happy version but I think it turned out nicely.

Flower Crown

Flower Crown

Easter Eggs

We had a lovely time dying Easter eggs this morning.  I wanted to try out the tie dying method that I saw here and here, but since we already had two packages of the little tablets, I decided we might as well use them.  Plus, the kids are so small that wrapping eggs in various materials is probably a bit much yet.  But let me tell you, throwing (yes, throwing!) eggs into cups of brightly colored dye is great fun.

Easter Eggs

Easter Eggs

I also had, what I thought to be  a pretty great idea — using the leftover dye to color a couple of white playsilks that we had not dyed the last time when we tried the Kool Aid method.  I mixed the colors together so there was enough (blue + purple, red + orange, and green + yellow) and it worked like magic.

More Playsilks

More Playsilks

I’m not sure how colorfast the silks will be but the tablets use vinegar as the mordant, which is what we used with the Kool Aid, so hopefully it will stay put.  I assume that the egg dyes are relatively non-toxic, probably at least as much so as Kool Aid.  Also, the colors were much more vibrant than the Kool Aid (with the exception of the red/orange) and we were not able to find a blue in the Kool Aid so this worked just perfectly.  In fact, it worked so well, I am considering going to Target or CVS the day after Easter and buying a buying a bunch of dye kits on sale!

More Playsilks

I made this little boy doll for a friend who is having a baby boy any time now.  The little doll sort of ended up looking a bit like a Voodoo doll, or maybe the runaway gingerbread man, but it was soft and lovey nonetheless.  I actually tried to make a last minute pair of shorts so he wouldn’t be quite so nudie but the shorts were too small and his legs were smooshing out of the bottom in a sort of obscene way, so I decided he would just have to go without.

Doll

The body was made of a soft cotton flannel and the hair, eyes, mouth and heart were all nice wool felt.  I stuffed him with tulle, partly because I didn’t have any wool, which would have been my preference, but also so he could go directly in the washing machine.  Actually, now that I think of it, maybe putting him in the washing machine would make the wool hair go funky.  Hmm.

Doll