For some reason I have been whipping up a lot of things for little heads lately.  A couple of days ago (or maybe yesterday?), I made a chef’s hat for the kids.  I had seen the tutorial a long time ago created by Joanna Armour of  Stardust Shoes and posted here over at Michael Miller Fabrics.  While the little one was sleeping, Eleanor and I cut up an old sheet and put the hat together.  It really didn’t take very long at all and the result was very pleasing to both of us.  We have been reading the book Whose Hat? by Margaret Miller lately and the first page features a chef’s hat.  I think having her own personal chef’s hat in hand made Eleanor really want to cook.  She made several batches of “pie soup” as soon as the hat was finished.

Chef's Hat

I didn’t actually get the hat all the way finished.  I stopped at the point in the tutorial just before the raw edges on the inside are finished off.  I figured Eleanor wanted to use it right away and I can go back in and tidy it up later.  I used what we had on hand (the sheet mentioned above) and I did not have fusible interfacing, so instead I used some flexible plastic screen from the back porch door which was recently repaired.  I sewed a little tube in the straight part of the hat and used my handy-dandy little bodkin to thread it through.  It worked really well, though if you hold it up to the light you can definitely see the screen!  The kids don’t seem to mind though.

The other headpiece I recently made was for a special birthday girl.  After seeing this post at tiny happy, I was inspired to both buy one of the flower fairies books (Flower Fairies of the Trees by Cicely Mary Barker) and make a crown.

Flower Crown

I tried several attempts at making the crown, I couldn’t figure out how to get the flowers attached so that they lay nice and flat.  The trick, I eventually figured out, was to take off all of the plastic stuff on the back — I had bought a big stem of many artificial blossoms and they were attached to the stem with a piece of plastic. I used some of the plastic mesh left over from the little house attached in the back with a piece of 3/4 inch elastic, a piece of nice soft wool felt hand stitched all around, and just sewed the flowers on with stitches across their centers.  It is a bit wider than the tiny happy version but I think it turned out nicely.

Flower Crown

Flower Crown

Advertisements